The IAIM recommend cold pressed oils and unscented vegetable oils. In my class I recommend cold pressed, unscented fruit and vegetable oils such as safflower, sunflower or fractionated coconut oil. There are many reasons why and here they are:
- They are non-toxic and safe if ingested
- They can contain beneficial nutrients, such as vitamin E, which are good for the skin
- They contain nutrients that help prevent rancidity
- These oils are less slippery when applied, so it’s safer to handle your baby after application
- They have no added scent, so infants can still enjoy their parents’ natural smell, and are not overwhelmed
Many manufactured massage oils contain petroleum that blocks up skin pores and doesn’t allow the skin to breathe, they can also create skin irritations and rashes. Use an oil to massage your baby that you would eat on a salad – one that is fresh, natural, pure and unscented!